Western State Hospital is a state psychiatric hospital which is licensed and operated by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.
Wish List - What to Donate
Volunteer Services for Western State Hospital is happy to accept donations for our patients. We have compiled a wish list below. Many of the items on the wish list are used as incentives during treatment while other items are used to support the patients after they are discharged from the hospital.
If you have a question about a donation, you may contact Tina Kincaid at email@example.com or 540-332-8595. Thank you for thinking of the patients in Western State Hospital. We are truly grateful!
Since technology is so important to individuals today, laptops, video games, and iPods/MP3 players are always in need.
- Crossword puzzles, Word Search, Sudoku, etc…
- Playing cards (regular, Uno, Phase 10, etc…)
- Blank journals
- Handheld electronic games (solitaire, yahtzee, etc…)
- Video games for Wii, Playstation2, Game Cube, Xbox
- Handheld video game systems (Gameboy, Nintendo DS, PSP)
- MP3 players
- iPads and other tablet devices (Nook, Kindle, etc…)
- DVDs (PG & PG13 ratings)
- CDs (current popular artists)
- AM/FM radios
Larger sizes are especially needed such as 2XL and 3XL in women and men’s clothing. Men’s jeans in sizes 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, and 46 are also needed.
- Both genders
- New and used
- All sizes
For safety reasons, Volunteer Services prefers to have paperback copies of books.
- Non-fiction (hardback and paperback)
- Magazine subscriptions
- Catholic Bibles – New American Bible translation
- Large print Bibles
- Bibles (Spanish)
- Tanakhs (Jewish Bibles)
- Qur’ans (Muslin scriptures)
Arts & Crafts
Extra art & crafts supplies are included in patient discharge bags to be used as tools to help the patients control their mental illness outside of the hospital.
- Crayons/Markers (washable)
- Acrylic paint
- Colored pencils
- Paint brush markers
- Paint brushes
- Craft kits
- Model Magic
- Sand art / sand art containers
- Glue (Tacky and Regular)
- Unpainted ceramics
- Scratch art, jewelry, foam art, fuse bead sets
- Jewelry kits
- Watercolor paper
- Watercolor paint sets
- Batting for quilts
- 3M painters tape
The state supplies all of these items for our patients during their stay at the hospital. However, many of our patients need these items when they are discharged from our care.
- Ethnic Hair Supplies
- Lotion (Men and Women)
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Soap (Hypoallergenic and Regular)
- Deodorant (Men and Women)
- Hair Brushes
- Hair Dryer
- Shaving Cream (Men and Women)
Gift cards of any amount are very helpful, as they allow Volunteer Services to purchase items of immediate need. For example, our patient care units often need color ink cartridge replacements to print pictures for patients and families for special events and holidays.
- Movie Tickets
- Best Buy
Houseware & Supplies
Many of our patients leave the hospital and find their own place to live. We help many patients with no or little money furnish and stock their new home.
- Dish Towels
- Paper Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Wet Wipes
- Twin-Size Bedding Sheets & Comforter Sets
- Bath Towels/Washcloths
- Laundry Supplies
- Cleaning Supplies (bleach, bathroom cleaner, window cleaner, etc.)
- Dishwashing Detergent
- Dishwasher Soap
- Cookware Sets
- Casserole Pans
- Dinnerware Sets
- Silverware Sets
- Individually packaged snacks (cheese crackers, breakfast bars, fruit cups, fruit gummies, goldfish crackers, trail mix, cookies, etc…)
- Bottled drinks (bottled water, soda products, etc…)